My research focuses on how managing work and family affects the health and well-being of individuals and their family members. Specifically, my work examines multiple facets of health (including social, emotional, behavioral, physical, and well-being), with a particular focus on physical and physiological health outcomes. Studies in my lab illuminate how timing and context affect the work-family interface by using time-sensitive, within-person designs, and questioning whether common work-family assumptions hold across economically or culturally diverse populations. In addition to examining predictors of employee and family health, my work explores individual-level strategies that can preserve and improve employee health in the face of multiple and competing demands.Industrial/Organizational Lab URL: http://workfamilyhealth.psych.gatech.edu lab name: Work Family Health Lab person_type: Faculty Education:
M.S., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, California State University San Bernadino, June 2012
- French, K. A., Dumani, S., Allen, T. D., & Shockley, K. M. (2018). A meta-analysis of work–family conflict and social support. Psychological Bulletin, 144(3), 284-314.http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/bul0000120
- French, K. A. & Agars, M. D. (2018). Work-family culture in low income environments: Can we generalize? Journal of Career Development, 45, 50-67.
- Kayhan, V., Chen, Z., French, K.A., Allen, T.D., & Salomon, K. (2018). How honest are the signals? A protocol for validating wearable sensors. Behavioral Research Methods.
- French, K. A., Dumani, S., Allen, T. D., & Shockley, K. M. (2017). A meta-analysis of work-family conflict and social support. Psychological Bulletin.
- Kiburz, K., Allen, T.D. & French, K. A. (2017). Being present in the moment: Can a brief mindfulness-based training reduce work-family conflict? Journal of Organizational Behavior, 38, 1016-1037.
- Allen, T. D., French, K. A., & Poteet, M. (2016). Women and career advancement: Issues and opportunities. Organizational Dynamics, 45, 206-216.
- French, K. A., Butts, M. M., & Allen, T. D. (2016). Parent work conditions and adolescent core self-evaluations: Examining the effects of work resource drain and parent gender. Journal of Business and Psychology, 31, 553-568.*Awarded 2016 Journal of Business and Psychology Editor Commenda