Professor Emeritus of Psychology
Ph.D. (1963) Clinical Psychology
University of Utah
J S Coon building B75
My current fields of interest include personality and individual differences, and psychometrics and statistics, including factor analysis, linear structural equations analysis, psychometric test theory, philosophy of science and statistics, and philosophy of causality and objectivity.
- American Psychological Society (Fellow)
- American Psychological Association (Fellow)
- Psychometric Society
- Philosophy of Science Association
- Society of Multivariate Experimental Psychology (Past President)
- Editor, Multivariate Behavioral Research
- Mulaik, S. A. (2004). Objectivity in science and structural equation modeling. In David Kaplan (Ed.) The Sage Handbook of Quantitative Methodology for the Social Sciences. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Pp. 425-446.
- Mulaik, S. A. (2001). The Curve-fitting problem: An objectivist view. Philosophy of Science, 68, 218-241.
- Mulaik, S. A., Raju, N. S., Harshman, R. A. There is a time and a place for significance testing. In L. L. Harlow, S.A. Mulaik, & J.H. Steiger, (Eds.) What if there were no significance tests? Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 65-115.
- Mulaik, S.A. (1995). The metaphoric origins of objectivity, subjectivity and consciousness in the direct perception of reality. Philosophy of Science, 62, 283-303.
- Carlson, M., & Mulaik, S.A. (1993). Trait ratings from descriptions of behavior as mediated by components of meaning. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 28, 111-159.
- Mulaik, S.A. (1986). Toward a synthesis of deterministic and probabilistic formulations of causal relations by the functional relation concept. Philosophy of Science, 53, 313-332.
- Mulaik, S.A., & McDonald, R.P. (1978). The effect of additional variables on factor indeterminacy in models with a single common factor. Psychometrika, 43, 177-192.
- Mulaik, S.A. (1972). The foundations of factor analysis. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company.
- PSYC 4406 Psychological Statistics (Undergraduate)
- PSYC 4424 Personality Theory (Undergraduate)
- PSYC 6630 Psychometric Theory
- PSYC 7101 Multivariate Statistics I
- PSYC 7102 Multivariate Statistics II
- PSYC 7103 Linear Causal Modeling